Thursday, July 17, 2014

Where do I start with this?

The way I feel about this blog is the way I feel about life right now.
Where do I even start? I came into this with a great idea in mind and then scratched it all. I had a few small thoughts in mind but I just don't know how to piece it all together.

Let's start with "Hi, I'm Mariah and I'm graduating college in ten weeks."
Oh yes, well maybe that's a little self explanatory. My mind is in 100 places right now.

This entire real life thing is really catching up to me.
Let me give you some questions that have been asked to me almost on a daily basis and some pretty honest answers.

"So what do you want to do when you're done with school?"
Well, the ultimate goal is becoming a fulltime freelance photographer, traveling, and doing work for a wide variety of magazines. Since I primarily shoot food and architecture, magazines such as Sunset or Coastal Living would be fabulous. Also, owning my own gallery with a team of artists. This is where I would do all of my fine art and transfer work.
However, realistically I know I cannot become a fulltime freelance photographer right away. I really need to build up my way up there. If I get a staff job as a photographer, assistant, or anything in the creative field while I'm working on building my freelance work, I would be excited.

"Where are you going?"
This is something I was really killing myself over for awhile and now that I know I feel so much better about everything.
I see a lot of people going out to New York and doing a killer job. However, can I be honest and just say I'm not ready for that yet? Plus, let's face it, I'm going to be broke. & New York or San Fran do not seem like the place that would be smart for me financially right away.
However, Portland Oregon and the northwest seem to be the goal. My plan was to move out there right away. I kept being told "If you're going to go, go now."
Let's be honest though, Denver has really grown on me. I love not only the city but also the people I'm surrounded by daily. I feel like it's a good place to start my career, I have connections, and I'm not done exploring Colorado. I am a native after all.
So the plan is to be in Denver for a year and THEN make a move out to Portland. I'm still young. I have a long life ahead of me still to explore many places and move wherever life takes me.

"Do you have any jobs lined up?"
Well....no.
I always told myself I don't want to be that person at graduation that has no idea what they are doing now. So my biggest goal is to have a job ready for me in 10 weeks. Pray for me.

Finding a second job that will work for me once I graduate, a place to live, and pulling my final portfolio together is a little emotionally overwhelming.

Life is neat though & I'll definitely be alright. I'm pretty excited what my creative future will hold.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see all the wonderful places your life will take you. You're an amazing person :)

    ReplyDelete