Saturday, August 23, 2014

Staying sane.

Tuesday, August 20th

I worked for 17 hours. Which looks like this will be my normal Tuesday schedule now.

I surprisingly made it through the day just fine! You just have to keep smiling and stop at Starbucks. (I'm a white girl, leave me alone.) When I keep myself busy I stay pretty energized. Until I lay on my bed, then I realize I'm actually pretty exhausted. Or until 10pm comes, then I get a little cranky.
Your bed feels like a cloud of magic after a long day. 



Wednesday, August 22nd 

I had portfolio that morning and worked in the afternoon.
We had mid-quarter move in's (my last move in as an RA!) which means meeting new people and Chiptole for lunch.
I worked on my last presentation for school! The presentation was for my photo essay class where we had to choose a photographer who shoots photo essays. Sounds cliche, but I chose Annie Leibovitz. I love Annie and have always been inspired by her work. Although Annie shoots glamorous celebrities, a ton of work for Vanity Fair, she did a personal photo essay that not many people are familiar with and made a book, Pilgrimage. This gave me the chance to throw the internet to the side a little bit with my research and use books instead.
I find this photo essay inspiring because it was personal, for her to find and remember why she does what she does. These were of historical places that she found important and not of people. Graceland, Emily Dickinson's home, Georgia O' Keffe's home (my favorite set of images!), Yellowstone National Park, etc. She did this during a time when she was in  huge financial trouble and everyone tried to discourage her by taking on this project, that it was a waste of time and the book wouldn't bring her any money. She did it anyway, for herself, which I find inspiring.
I hope to accomplish a similar personal project like it after I graduate.
 

Thursday, August 23rd
I was finally able to shoot more for my What Becomes Of Importance series.
If you don't know, this is a photo essay I am doing where I talk to individuals on the street, take their portrait, and a physical item they have on them that is of most importance. (& yes, I go alone.) What I'm trying to find is what physical objects become important, when we have nothing.
I decided to go on 16th street mall where you find plenty of interesting people.
"They call us 'The Dirty Kids' " they are from the east and just kind of meet each other along their travels, mostly from music festivals. I asked them what object they had that was most important "Well if you have a human heart in your pocket, that would work!" All in all, they said that their friendship/family was important, having each other. Physical object wise, they chose their music and weed. They were so kind, funny, and full of positive vibes.


After class I went home and finished the letterhead for my resume and cover letter. Although it was already finished, I tried fixing it and redesigning it again because I'm an indecisive perfectionist.
& then Cody came to see me!

Friday, August 24th
I worked from 4am-7:30 and then went to the school to print.
After profiling my paper I realized I forgot the files I needed to print and just got really upset...over something that was quite small which is not like me. That's when I realized I needed to take the day to just breathe, which I had to talk myself into doing.
I took a nap, watched Gravity and cuddled with Cody, and baked a cake with frosting that looks like little poops. It was exactly what I needed to recuperate for a busy week all over again.


Eat your greens, drink your coffee, and sleep when it's calling you with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment